In civilizations long since past, the aging female was looked upon with respect. The oldest in the community was often called the wise woman, crone, healer, witch or just mother.

Personally, I like the term crone. I want to be a Crone.

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Dear Grandma, If you like to give advice maybe you can help me

Grandma has been asked a question in the comment section of her very first post. I don't even have to butt in. Thanks, reader who wrote:



If you like to give advice, maybe you can help me.

My husband started a weekend lawn service to help us pay the bills. He did pretty good over the summer, and I thought we'd have some extra money to enjoy life. Now he bought a $7,000 tractor for his lawn service. He says he can use it to do other stuff for customers like plow snow during the winter.

I got mad and bought a leather couch just to teach him a lesson. It only cost $5,600. Less than his tractor. Now he's mad at me.

How can I let him know that I put up with him being gone almost every night during the summer and most weekends, leaving me here to clean the house without any help and I deserve a break, too. We really can't afford the couch, but we could if he would take the tractor back. He is being really selfish. The couch looks great and all of my friends love it and tell me I should be a decorator.

Taken for Granted
September 4, 2010 4:36 PM
Dear Taken for Granted,
In my opinion, someone is being very selfish here. Childish and vindictive also come to mind. What have you done to help the family budget lately? A few extra household chores?
Where is your brain, child. You spend money you don't have because you're mad that your husband is trying to make extra money that you need? It doesn't sound like his tractor is a toy or display piece, but an investment in his business. Instead of taking the winter off, he's planning to go out in the cold to earn extra money.
You complain about being left to do the chores. Have you offered to ride along and help in with his lawn business? Not only would you spend time with him, jobs would go faster meaning more money with less time.
If yard work isn't your thing, it's not mine either, have you thought about a second job of your own to pay for your expensive treats?
If a second job isn't your thing, have you thought about just cutting down on expenses?
I hope you saved the receipt for the couch and make arrangements to have it picked up and your money refunded as soon as possible. I also hope you let your husband know that you feel left out but that you understand what he is doing is for your family. He sounds like he takes his family responsibilities seriously.
Grandma


Do you have a comment or question for grandma?


3 comments:

RoseMary King said...

That is just way too funny!!!!! And I can appreciate both sides of this story!!!!

Suz Alicie said...

You go Grandma! Marriage or a relationship is actually a balancing act and a whole lot of compromise and team work. Take that couch back and start helping your hubby schedule his work with his new tractor, heck go along and help out once in a while.

Unknown said...

Nuff said!!!! Icouldn't have said it better you old crone!hehehe